Friday 5 December 2008

High Friends In Places
Part 3/3 - "Love is better than a warm trombone when blown softly..."


Prologue
So here it is, 3 of 3. I like this new format, Pic at the top (Clicky for links and bigger as normal) I'm glad I've stuck it out on here.
If you followed Part 1 & Part 2 of this opus of a trilogy then well done and thank you. You will find this third installment a delightfully short jaunt through a light smidgen of the musical bookshelf that is my brain, quite quite different from the paradox of crazy that have been the previous two installments.
I may put links to these posts in the side bar as they reflect exactly why I do this thing I do.
Excellent. Do enjoy. Word to your mother.
C.J

High Friends In Places
Part 3/3 - "Love is better than a warm trombone when
blown softly..."


Music is my life.
The title of these "High Friends In Places" is taken from a track by the amazing band Giant Drag, and that is kind of my point.
Clicky for Giant Drag site. I remember the first time I ever heard Mudhoney's Touch Me I'm Sick. It was around the summer of '93 in my mate Dan Edmund's house and I remember thinking that "THAT is how music should sound all the time" I guess it was my first introduction to modern Rock music as I had only listened to stereotypical 70's rock and had been surrounded by 80's pop for the bulk of my formative years.
I'm not entirely sure if I softened musically during the late 90's but I did start listening to increasingly less and less harder edged music and started listening to heartfelt music. As my Last.fm page will tell you I found that retreat with a beat in Indie Rock.
Clicky for my Last.fm page.
I used to list them all on this very site, then I decided on this 'New' format and the rest you can see. I Digest.
A simple list of achievements would be nice, a little something to look back on. Easily accessible on the interwebs for all to see.
Nope. It's not there even if you look for it

It would be nice to see if I have also matured as a musician over the years. It would be good to see if my solo work is more progressive than The Hixon Trial stuff and whether those songs are in turn any 'better' than any of the Qual tracks.
Ramble ramble... I've been adding to this post for weeks now and that whole statement just gone is no longer the case for me and I think that really does have something to do with how actively I am pursuing my own musical fulfillment, for example now at present time of writing I am working on improvements to my lap steel playing for the band The Gutenberg Cabal. This Blog is kind of like a time machine like that, although I think my tastes haven't much changed they have really been added to. Built on.
If I was stopped in the street and asked to quickly to list a gossip magazine style top hottest (depending on the day) I would probably say:
Joanna Newsome
Clicky for the Unofficial Joanna Newsome Myspazz.
Amanda Palmer
Clicky for Who Killed Amanda Palmer dot Com.
Annie Hardy.
Clicky for Giant Drag Site.
Not one of the above famous to your average Joe Public-McChaverson, but this post isn't about my on going quest to ram awesome new music down the throats of people with little or no taste. I started this blog as a music review / sobriety monitor style thinger. Even though I am quite aware that taste is subjective I always happen to be right in these matters, and here's that awful old list of links that used to adorn the side bar of this blog to prove it:

...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Arctic Monkeys
Ash
Lou Barlow
Beastie Boys
Belle & Sebastian
Ben Folds Five
Be Your Own PET
Frank Black
Bloc Party
Breeders
British Sea Power
Nick Cave
Billy Corgan
Graham Coxon
Do Me Bad Things
Echo & The Bunnymen
Editors
Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster
The Flaming Lips
Ben Folds
¡Forward, Russia!
PJ Harvey
The Hixon Trial
Interpol
Led Zeppelin
The Libertines
Loophole
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks
Mansun
The Mars Volta
Mogwai
The Mountain Goats
Mower
Nofx
Mike Patton
Pixies
Qual
Queens Of The Stone Age
Radiohead
Rage Against The Machine
Reed & Kellogg
Sebadoh
Siversun Pickups
Elliott Smith
John Smith
Sonic Youth
System Of A Down
Rosie Thomas
Two Gallants
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The Young Knives
We Are Scientists

And here It will remain, again, Like a time machine this blog.
I started that list nearly 4 years ago. I guess the modern equivalent is something more along the lines of this?:






Whatever. I guess if you do have any music orientated questions for me the email is same as it ever was.

Short. Sweet. Thanks for reading.

C.J

xo


"Wake me up before California darling boy, i always adore ya if this is what you want, then I'll leave... baby... maybe."

No comments: